Not that anybody cares about my opinions about music, books or film. . . . but blogging is, by its nature, a self-obsessed activity, so I thought I’d indulge by listing the best of two things which occupy most of my time. . . anthropology and music (mostly alt.country music these days).
Note: that these are, of course, only my opinions. . . I make no claims to have read and/or listened to all available material released/published in 2005. . . I have read and/or listened to the stuff on my lists. . . & I think they work. Check them out if you have the chance.
JCB’s Best Anthropology/Archaeology/History of 2005 (in no particular order):
- Industrial Archaeology: Future Directions edited by Eleanor Conlin Casella and James Symonds
- Archaeological Theory: Who Sets the Agenda? edited by Norman Yoffee, Andrew Sherratt, Wendy Ashmore, Francoise Audouze, Cyprian Broodbank, Colin Renfrew, Nathan Schlanger, Timothy Taylor, Tim Murray
- Reforging the White Republic: Race, Religion, and American Nationalism, 1865-1898 by Edward J Blum
- Appalachians and Race: The Mountain South from Slavery to Segregation edited by John C Inscoe
- Odd Tribes: Toward a Cultural Anaylsis of White People by John Hartigan, Jr.
- The Archaeology of Plural and Changing Identities: Beyond Identification edited by Eleanor C Casella, Chris Fowler
My Favorite Music Releases of 2005 (in no particular order):
- The Outsider by Rodney Crowell (August 16, 2005)
- Back to Me by Kathleen Edwards (March 1, 2005)
- Come on Back by Jimmie Dale Gilmore (August 16, 2005)
- Get Myself Together by Danny Barnes (August 2, 2005)
- Mercy Now by Mary Gauthier (February 15, 2005)
- Year of Meteors by Laura Veirs (August 23, 2005)
- Okemah And The Melody Of Riot by Son Volt (July 12, 2005)
- The Real Deal by Billy Joe Shaver (September 20, 2005)
- Get Behind Me Satan The White Stripes (June 7, 2005)
- Suit Yourself by Shelby Lynne (May 24, 2005)